Friday, January 2, 2015

Quest Fail due to Over Consumption of Sport!

So I didn't make it.  10 posts in 10 days turned out to be a bridge too far.  By the time I had the chance to write last night (i.e. the children were all mercifully, mercifully asleep) it was well past ten in the evening on New Year's Day.  I had been feasting on sports all day, and was groggy from ingesting too much football of all varieties.  I thought to myself, as I lay on the floor trying to squeeze in yet another game, that I should get up, get a cup of coffee, and complete the quest of 10 blog posts in 10 days.

But then I passed out on the floor, a victim of a football fueled bacchanalia.

There is such a thing, of course, as too much, even with sports.  I watched the equivalent of three soccer matches yesterday (one of which was actually EPL Breakaway on NBC Sport, which I enjoyed -- sort of like NFL Redzone for soccer covering 8 different matches at the same time -- another was Chelsea's 5-3 defeat to Tottenham, which I did not enjoy at all), and then on top of that tried to watch both college football playoff games.

I did try to cheat a little on the Oregon v. FSU game.  I recorded it on the DVR and started watching it about an hour and half after the kickoff.  Usually when I watch a football game I fast-forward just until I see the two teams line up for the snap, and then press play.  This cuts out the commercials, the time outs, the play reviews, the huddles, the time it takes for the two teams to heave themselves off the ground and get ready to smash into each other again.

But this hasn't worked as well this year, and it didn't work last night very well at all.  The game is just moving so fast.  Oregon sometimes only had 10 - 14 seconds last night between plays.  That's too many buttons to press too often which of course can lead to remote fatigue and possible carpel tunnel sydrome, so in the interest of viewer safety I have to just sit back and watch Oregon play.  I have yet to find an answer for the no-huddle offense.

Florida State?  It's easy to say they sucked, but if they hadn't made so many turnovers the game may have been different.  In the first half they looked like they were hanging in allright, didn't seem afraid of Oregon and were playing with them.  But don't mistake me for a Florida State apologist; I thoroughly enjoyed watching them get stomped.

I caught up with the end of the game just in time to start watching the next.  But it too proved a bridge too far.  I fell asleep when Ohio State were losing; when I woke up and staggered off to bed they were wining but I left the issue in doubt until the morning.  I am no fan of Ohio State, but I don't like Alabama either, so I guess I am...what?  Conflicticated.  Tired.  Ready to get back to the land of the living.

It's been a long vacation, my friends.  I'm not looking forward to getting back to work per se, but its time for life to assume its natural rhythm.  Though nearly everything around me is designed to entertain me I find long stretches of the day where I am just bored bored bored.  My 6 year old desperately needs to go back to school, for her sanity as well as ours.

That's all for now.  Be back in a few days, when I have something hopefully (though not likely) more interesting to say.


No comments:

Post a Comment