Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Bruno Mars Experiment

I was pretty astounded to find out that yesturday's blog post had 244 views. Nothing I have ever written for this blog has had had that much attention.  Even my growing cult classic, A Treatise on Naval Architecture, has only been viewed 209 times, and I think about 50 of those come from one of my nav arch co-workers.

One would think such a development would make me over-joyed.  I've managed to reach to me what is a lot of people, at last this blog might get some ground, I can gain some recognition, and I can actually write what I want to for money and quit writing Hermoine-Snape smut for the Slytherins on Ravelry.

However, I find that I am incredulous.  I can't really believe that I wrote anything that would garner 244 views in a single night (and it is very suspicious that most of the views happened between 11PM and 7AM Eastern Time.  That means either I have a huge following in Russia or there is dirty work afoot!).  I have a couple of different theories:

1.  Something is seriously wrong with Google's track-em-up devices.
2.  A crime syndicate out of Vietnam is cycling my site for some reason.
3.  There is some causality between the fact that my post was entitled "So Bruno Mars wrote 'When I was Your Man' to put his cat to sleep" and the fact that Bruno Mars is so hot right now.  I mean, everything he touches and does is like a beautiful musical equation, so simple and elegant that it makes you question the very nature of your existence.

So I am going to do a little experiment.  Using all my other posts as a control, I am going to put Bruno Mars into the title of this post and see how many hits I get.  If I get my normal 11 hits, then I know it was a fluke.  If I get an enormous amount of hits again then...

Well, at that point all we really know is that I have either arrived as a blogger or people still want to learn more about Bruno Mars (have you just noticed that in two posts promising to talk about Bruno Mars, I haven't really said anything about Bruno Mars at all?).  Or maybe that Vietnamese mafia are still interested in me.  So then I will make a third post but this time leave Bruno Mars out of the title and see how many hits I get.

That final posts, dear friends, will decide my fate.  For if I hit it big again it might be time to monetize and modernize the old blog.  If I don't its going to be time to get the band back together so we can tour some blighted post-industrial American cities in the rust belt and maybe raise the money we need to get the Tarqinio Bakery up and running again.  For I ask you this:  how can bread be bad for you if half of it is just air?


2 comments:

  1. If you haven't already, you should look into setting up Google Analytics on your blog so you'll have more insight as to where the traffic is coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! I wanted to see what the experiment part of the Bruno Mars equation was all about! lol Was it some sort of movement? Was it athletic? Was it philanthropic? Was it humanitarian or philosophical? So many questions, so little... hey! I think I'll just click and find out! And thus I became one of your statistics. But alas, I am just a wee bit early tonight. It is only 10pm and I've gone and ruined it for you by not waiting another hour. My sincerest apologies. I'll try to do better at anticipating your needs before I click on one of your interesting blog titles next time. ;0)

    ReplyDelete