Sunday, January 25, 2015

Marickovich Zips 1, Downton Abbey 2.

It's been a rough start to the series.

I speak of course of the fact that I find myself down to Downton Abbey 2 games to 1.  After a surprise victory in the first match, where I impressed everyone by staying awake for the entire 2 hour opening episode, I have fallen asleep in the following two matches, setting up a very important tie tonight with episode number 4.

Game three was a particular embarrassment.  If I am going to fall asleep I usually put up a good fight, scrapping for every moment, keeping those eyelids propped open to the last.  But during last weeks episode I realized in the first five minutes that victory was impossible, and I decided to stretch out as best I could in my favorite blue chaucer wing chair and give in to the sleep that my body so desperately craved, despite the possibility of scandal coming once again to Downton.

On the other hand perhaps I should be forgiven, as it seems scandal lurks around every corner in every episode, upstairs and down, beneath the eaves of Lord Grantham's humble abode.  Why is this such a great show?  Is it really all about Maggie Smith?

Currently the odds makers in Vegas are giving me a 20% chance of gaining the 3 victories I need out of the remaining 5 fixtures to force a tie break at 4-4 (Season 5 having 8 episodes), to be settled if necessary at Christmastime during the annual Downton Christmas special.

And the odds of winning the whole shabang?  Psh.  Forget about it.  I'm already praying for a draw for the hopes to maybe win in a more favorable time of year.

I'm getting ahead of myself, of course.  Need to take it one game at a time.  I am a little concerned, as the larger than normal lunch that I paired with a fine bohemian beer is starting to catch up with me as the afternoon waxes into a chilly evening - with about 3.5 hours to game time I feel like I could do with a nap. But napping is against the 1894 Vauxhall Spectators Association Rules, and so I will have to make do with a cup of strong coffee.

Wish me luck!  Just thinking about the soothing drawl of the Edwardian upper class is enough to....to....

Zzzzzz.    Zzzzzz.

It's a great show.  It really, really is.

1 comment:

  1. Of course it's all about Maggie Smith! She is a treasure!

    ReplyDelete