Sunday, June 7, 2015

What a Cleveland Championship Would Mean

And no, I don't mean the Cavaliers.  But if you clicked on this link because you thought it was about the Cavs, well, consider this a good old fashioned clever trap.

This past weekend was a big weekend in sports.  For me the most significant moment was when Barcelona defeated Juventus 3-1 in the UEFA Champions League Final.  I didn't have a lot invested in the match emotionally, though I like watching Barcelona (and in particular Messi) play when I can and so I was happy that they won.  They took the treble, having won their league, their domestic cup, and the Champions League all in the same season and that is a huge achievement.

Most significant for most other people was American Pharoah's Triple Crown win.  We'd been waiting for this for years, FOR YEARS, and I remember as a kid thinking how awesome it would be if another horse could finally break through the deadlock, and getting so excited when a horse would get through the Derby and Belmont Stakes, and the disappointment when that horse inevitably lost in the Preakness.  And yesterday it FINALLY happens and...

...And everything is the same.  Nothing has changed. I feel no different in a world where we have seen a Triple Crown winner than I felt in a world where it had not been done for nearly 40 years.  The sun shines no brighter, beer doesn't taste any better, cheese doesn't keep in the fridge any longer than it used to.  It has changed my life not a jot.

In all truth sports has very little effect on me.  I am buoyed if my beloved Chelsea FC wins, mildly happy when the Orioles win, a little bummed for a very brief time if they lose.  With a few notable exceptions championships are won and lost, glory is realized and defeat is tasted, and all in all the effect on my life is practically nill.

There is one Championship that would change everything though.

If the Cleveland Browns win a championship, that will effect me directly.

The effect may not be huge, admittedly, but it would be noticeable.  As I've mentioned before I work with a diehard and delusional Cleveland Browns fan and if they ever win a Super Bowl I know that I will never hear the end of it.  I will be reminded of it daily, with T-shirts and commemorative hats and God knows what else, but if they can slap "Cleveland Browns Super Bowl Champions" on it I guarantee you it will be bought, horded, and held for future reminiscence and re-sale for some serious moo-lah.  Wouldn't be surprised in the least if he got it tattooed on his on person, on his back or ass or maybe in tiny letters on his calves.

Thankfully it appears I have little to worry about.  Vegas is currently giving odds between 66 - 100:1 for the Browns to win.  The odds of the next "Expendables" movie being not good but merely watchable are better even than 100:1, though not by much....

The saddest thing about all of this is that if I had never met Mr. Cleveland I'd probably be overjoyed to see a lovable bunch of ragtag bran muffins win the Championship.  To go from such depths to the Super Bowl and win? It would be an incredible story, the kind of thing Disney movies are made from.

But now?  It can never be.  That particular avenue of potential happiness has been closed off for me, perhaps not forever but certainly for a good long while.

So my favorite football team this season?  The Steelers, always.

My second favorite team:  Who is playing those gosh-darned Cleveland Browns.






No comments:

Post a Comment