Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Scene 42

So let me set the scene:  The family (NICK, TRISH, ELIZABETH (age 5), ROSALYN (age 6 months) are driving in the family station on the way to dinner at Chic-Fil-A and then an evening of running errands.  TRISH is clipping coupons.  NICK is driving.  ROSALYN is quietly yet desperately fighting against an afternoon nap that is slowly getting the better of her. 

ELIZABETH:  Can I have some coupons please?  I want to look at them

TRISH:  Sure.  [TRISH passes the coupons back to ELIZABETH]

There is silence in the car for a moment as ELIZABETH flips idly through the coupons and kicks her little feet back and forth.  

ELIZABETH:  What are we here for?

TRISH:  What?

NICK:  Do you mean why are we here?  Like why we are here on Earth?

ELIZABETH:  Yes.

TRISH (muttering under her breath): 42.

NICK:  Well, I think Pastor Laine would say that we are here to glorify God as best we can in all we do. That's the best answer I can think of.

ELIZABETH (suddenly turns the coupons page and holds it up in sudden excitement): Oh my gosh, girlie things! Oh those shoes are so cute!  And look at that shirt, it's blue!

NICK (aside to TRISH): I'm sure there is a message in all of this.  But I'm not sure what it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment