Monday, September 26, 2016

Clinton v. Trump I: The Harangue at Hofstra.

Welcome to Hofstra University and the first of three debates between Democratic Presidential Nominee Hillary Clinton and Republican Presidential Nominee Donald Trump!  It's the first of three debates, and both contenders are looking to take the first game of the series.  First blood!

The stakes are....well, there will be a lot of people watching, that's for sure.  I know for me there is literally nothing that Trump can do that will make me vote for him, but if he can at least appear sane for 90 minutes, well, job done, I guess.  The stakes are higher for Clinton: she somehow has to convince people of her superiority to Trump without appearing superior.  Like, she has to put him to the sword, but she can't go all Hermione Granger on Trump's ass, because no one likes Hermione.  It's like asking Lionel Messi to score a hat trick, but not to do it too beautifully.  Three ugly goals.  It's a tough ask.

Tonight we will be scoring according to a secret set of criteria that I am not telling anyone about, lest I tip off my enemies.  Points will be posted to Ravenclaw House when Clinton scores; likewise when Trump scores points will go Gryffindor.

Gryffindor you say?  Yes! You might think he would go to Slytherin.  Yes, he could have been great at Slytherin....but he was so bold and so beautiful, so courageous, that he went to Gryffindor.  Yeah, admittedly, he's a Gryffindor gone to seed.  But he's still a Gryffindor.

So the rules are established, the stage is set, it's all to do for Clinton, and here we go....

8:30 seconds to go:  I've selected the You Tube feed from CNN, which I am not happy about.  I really think that CNN has made this election worse, with their panels and never ending discussion of this long, long election.  Maybe there is something better.

There we go.  Good old NBC.  Much less talk.  We seen to be in some sort of pre-game ceremony here.  I know many people around the country are pre-gaming as well.

My kindle has only 75% battery.  I hope that it makes it through the debate.  I have about 50% battery myself.

The families are being seated.  Here comes Lester Holt.  It's a full house here at Hofstra.  Last chance for the restrooms, last chance for a quick beer.  Lester Holt clears his throat.  The atmosphere is tense.  Very tense.  It seems as thought Lester Holt is taking a phone call, and the person on the other end is breaking up. Is it Trump calling to cancel?  Or is it his wife wishing him luck?

Somewhere in the distance, a dog barks....the candidates come out on to the stage and....

...And there was a long debate, and I wrote during it, stream of consciousness.  But I lost interest, and I thought that Donald Trump was an idiot.

It was not as interesting as we would have hoped - until the end, when it got quite raucous.  I thought Clinton put him to the sword. To the sword! I scored it like Ravenclaw - 9, Gryffindor - 2.  Trump seemed rather dickish, and immature, and non-presidential, and did not show one iota of the acumen necessary to be President.  Hillary did land a few low blows, perhaps went a few places that she should not have gone.  Trump elected to not really answer a number of questions, notably on the birther issue.  He may be a "great" businessman, but otherwise I don't think he has a clue.  I think he will find it very hard to govern if he wins. Clinton was cool, incredulous, and I think she just ran rough-shod over him, and she was organized.  Trump was all over the place, and got less orgnaized as he went on.  I think his plan to defeat ISIS somehow involves these guys below.



Yeah.  Those guys could do it.  I think that's probably what Trump's plan is, in a nutshell. One does not simply defeat ISIS.

And that's it for me, for this election.  For me it's over.  I don't want to hear another word, from Mr. Trump. I hope he loses big in November, because if he wins the presidency we will be in big, big trouble.  But even worse, I will have to listen to him talk for at least 4 years.  That seems to me a fate worse than....well, not death, but its still bad.  

This was a waste of life.  Next up:  the War in Washington.  But I wonder what else could possibly be said?


  

No comments:

Post a Comment