Monday, April 28, 2014

In Which Nick Marickovich, Esq. Saves Baseball in One Afternoon

Baseball.  America's Past Time (Pasttime?  Past-time?....eh, what ever)...is in trouble.  

Look at these statistics I made up:
  • 63.4% of males ages 18 - 54 think that football is much cooler than baseball
  • Americans spend $2.7 billion on football merchandise every-year.  Baseball doesn't even come close.
  • Many people, instead of spending 3 hours watching baseball, would rather play Madden
  • Most people like cupcakes better.  I, for one, care less for them.

Baseball's problems are also illustrated by the fact that the other day, after the Angles pulled their pitcher after giving up 4 runs to the Yankees, I heard this conversation on the radio.

"Hey, let me ask you something:  when you give up four runs and leave two men on base and get pulled, does that earn you a high-five from you team-mates?"

"I don't -- "

"Because I saw all those Angels players high-fiving Santiago and I got a real problem with that.  I don't think his performance warrants a high-five.  A pat on the butt maybe, and a hang in there, but a high-five is like "great job!" you know?"

"It may not be us for to add verbal speculation to a gesture in the dugout."

"But nobody says "hang in there" and gives a high-five.  It just doesn't happen."

At this point I had to turn off the radio to order some lunch from Chic-Fil-A.  Usually the good people at Chic-Fil-A are spot on with taking and fulfilling orders, but this time was different and I had to correct the woman on the other end of the speaker a number of times and it was a good minute or two before I was able to resume listening to the broadcast.  

"I mean, you can't just let them sit there and mope in! the corner of the dugout. You have to interact with him in some way."

"No, but I still don't think that was a performance meriting a high-five."

"You're really not a high five kind of guy, are you?"

"No, Glenn, I'm really not.  It has no place in baseball.  Do you think Honus Wagner would give you a high five after hitting a grand slam?  No sir.  He'd give you a firm handshake and how d' yuh do.  And you know what else I don't like..."

Give me a break.  Such whinging and whining.  Baseball, with its slow measured play, is supposed to be an oasis in a sea of people blabbing and screaming and trying to fight their way through rush-hour traffic.  It is a-kin to a massage, except the supple hands of Gerda Svenjonson and the peruvian flute music she plays whilst rubbing warm oil vigorously into your body are replaced by beer, brats, and dizzy bat races between innings. 
So.  Here is how I would save baseball:

One:  Immediate League Restructuring

I'd re-organize baseball more on the order of European soccer.  I'd keep both the National and American Leagues, but I'd do away with the the divisions, so that the two leagues are essentially now two large divisions.  Wins/losses would be kept the same as they are today.  Top 3 teams from the NL and the AL gets into the playoffs.  

The big twist:  relegation, which is a concept that I love.  Bottom three teams in each league get demoted to AAA, and the top 6 AAA teams get promoted up to "the show".

The Europeans do some things well (topless beaches), but not all things (topless beaches).  So there is no reason to go fully Continental on everyone's assess.  As already mentioned, there will be playoffs.  Ties?  Fuck that!.  Americans want to see winners and losers, we'll give 'em winners and losers. No ties!

Oh, and every team plays each team in their league 8 times (4 away, 4 at home) and teams from the other league twice.  That lowers the number of games from an epic 162 to a more manageable 142, if my math is right.  

Two:  No more whining about the way things used to be and how you like them better, old baseball men.

Every baseball commentator should be required to watch this clip from "Kelly's Heroes" before commentating on a game so that they can dig how beautiful everything is, and maybe say something righteous for a change:




No comments:

Post a Comment