Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Euro 2016 Final Predictions!!

My boss and I agree on very little.  

He thinks comedies from the 80s are wonderful (to whit: One Crazy Summer); I think the vast majority of them don't stand the test of time.  He prefers Skippy, whereas I am a JIF man through and through.  I believe that an argument is a string of statements intended to establish a proposition, where he seems to think its the automatic naysaying of anything the other person says.  

But stunningly, we both have the same predictions for Euro 2016, which starts its semifinal round today.  Even more incredible is that we believe it for the same reasons.  

We have Wales going through against Portugal to make it to the final and cap what has been a fairy tail run, eclipsed by the rather stunning performance of wee Iceland.  Wales seem to be firing on all cylinders and - all due respect to Ronaldo and his impossible, cartoonish body - we just don't think that Portugal are really that good.  

So that was an easy one.  But now consider Germany and France.  

At first I wanted to pick France.  They are playing well, and are playing in their home country.  Germany didn't look so great against Italy....ah, but there is the thing.  The game between Germany and Itsly featured what are in my mind the two best sides in the tournament.  I think it will be close, but I give Germany the edge.  So does my boss, for exactly the same reasons.  

And so we come to Wales versus Germany.  I'd enjoy, maybe, seeing Wales  win...but in life there are three undeniable truths:  never get involved in a land war in Asia, never go against a Sicilian when Death is on the line, and never bet against Germany in a final. 

Der Mannschaft.  All the way.   

No comments:

Post a Comment