Wednesday, September 9, 2015

...And it was Kinda Beautiful.

So I just watched the first episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and, before I read anyone else's reaction to it I just wanted to put my thoughts on paper...or computer....or whatever it is.  The Ether.

It wasn't what I thought it would be.

Sure, it was funny.  And yes, it was smart.  But I never really imagined that it would be kind of beautiful, particularly the last few minutes.

The beginning of the show was good, the obligatory monologue was good, and the opening gambits behind the desk were funny and reminiscent of the old Colbert Report.  I've gathered that most of his old staff is with him and you can see the style, even if they are writing for someone who is no longer playing a "narcissistic conservative pundit", in Colbert's words.

George Clooney's time on the stage was awkward, but I think honestly that that is what they were going for. It didn't really work for me, but nothing is perfect.

But in the interview with Jeb Bush, in a few video clips with rival Jimmy Fallon, and in a musical number with John Batiste's band ("Different Strokes" with a number of musical guests including Mava Staples, Ben Folds, and Colbert himself) Colbert struck a chord of unity.  He wasn't too hard on Jeb Bush, he asked him a few good questions, but he didn't lampoon him as his past character may have done and he even said "there is a non-zero chance I will actually vote for you", recognizing difference but a willingness to listen.  Of course, non-zero numbers include negative numbers, but Stephen Colbert isn't a math major so I am not sure he remembers that from way back.  One of the last images of the show was the band and guests singing "We gotta live together" over and over and over again.

It was almost like after spending 9 years being part of the media machine that has so divided the country, Stephen Colbert tried yesterday to make amends and set a different tone with this new show.  And it was, well, kinda beautiful.

Now the real work begins.  Let's see if he and his team can keep it up.  I have a feeling that they can make it last as long as they care to.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment