Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My Favorite Jon Stewart Moment

It's funny, but as the news broke that Jon Stewart was leaving the Daily Show it felt in a way that someone had died.  Not that I feel that way, but it was just odd that my friends starting eulogizing him as if he was dead on social media.  Take heart friends - I am sure we have not seen the last of Mr. Stewart.  Be it in movies or in books or behind a camera or maybe even one day in the halls of our hallowed government I am sure we will see him again.  

My favorite Jon Stewart moment:  when he made John Cleese laugh during the interview for Cleese's recent book So, Anyway... which is a memoir of his early days, cutting his teeth at the BBC before Monty Python began.  And it was on the damndest joke too -- John Cleese had "guessed" Jon Stewart was about 65, and Jon said to John "No I ain't, I is 34 I is", and John said "Really?" and Jon said "No, I've just gotten a lot of lifts.  I have a skin ponytail in the back"....and for some reason that thing, of all things, just absolutely cracked Cleese up.  

And I'm paraphrasing of course.  It didn't really happen that way (though the skin pony tail thing was the joke). You can see it on The Daily Show website, at least for now.  But I think it meant a lot to Stewart that he was able to make John Cleese really laugh.

Who should replace Stewart?  I don't know.  I am not sure if anyone should.  I know I wouldn't want to try. But Comedy Central would be idiotic not to at least try to keep one of their great franchise programs going.  If I was them I'd try to find a clever female comedienne and let the girls take a crack at it.  Let's shake up late night a bit.  

And If Jon Stewart runs for President?  I won't vote for him.  Not unless he came to my house and gave me a dozen donuts (pretty much the running cost for my vote).  

Though you know?  For you Jon.....I'll make it a cool half dozen.  

     

No comments:

Post a Comment