Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mexican PTI

So today my family and I went to a Mexican restaurant and we happened to see the Latino version of Pardon The Interruption, the sports show on ESPN where Michael Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser points of view concerning the views of the day on sports and -- yes -- frequently interrupt each other.  I will give it to them, the Latino versions of Messrs Kornheiser and Wilbon seemed much more polite.

One of the features of PTI is the Rundown, where you see what is going to be the next topic of discussion and...well, there is no point in trying to explain it where I can just show it to you.  But then does that mean I am a poor writer if I can't describe it?  Probably.

So yeah, there is the rundown.  
Anyway, there you have it.  The rundown became so popular there is now a version of it on Sportscenter proper, so you can see when they are going to talk about the Cleveland Browns; this gives the viewer a clear indication of when they can take a break from Sportscenter to go grab a snack, maybe take out the trash, practice irregular German verbs.  It really gives you a better way to juggle that hectic schedule of yours.

What was on the run down for today's Latino PTI?  I can't speak Spanish very well, but it looked like:


  • The Mexican Team!  Why are they are in third place in world cup qualifying? 
  • El Tri (i.e. the Mexican National Team)!  Why have they only scored three goals during world cup qualifying in 6 games?  What is wrong with El Chicharito?  Why can he not score the goals?  If El Tri cannot score the goals, then it will be hard for them to win the world cup.
  • Tricolor (i.e. The Mexican National Team again)!  Isn't it great though, that in 6 matches they have only let in 2 goals? No one in the CONCACAF group has such a stingy defense.
  • Mexico (you guessed it) - The next time Mexico scores a goal, I'll bet I can go GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL for a good 30 seconds before I black out due to lack of oxygen to the brain.
  • Spanish National Team!  They beat Tahiti by 10 goals to nil.  If the Mexican National Team played against Tahiti, how many goals would they score?  I reckon maybe 6.
  • Oh, and The Miami Heat are going to be playing game seven for....something.  

Seriously.  It really was, and my wife can vouch for me on this.  The whole show was about the Mexican National Team, except for the last two bullets.  And I guess if I was a Mexico fan I too would be worried.  While they are currently in third place, and thus currently hold a qualifying position, they only have 8 points and Honduras (which have some good talent) and Panama are not far behind with  6 and 7 points respectively.  

Oh, and in case you are wondering, the USA is actually at the top of the group with 13 points and a 4-1-1 record.  They are in excellent position to qualify for next summer's World Cup.  I know you were all worried about it - rest at east, dear friends.  Rest at ease.

Oh, and as to game 7 of "The Finals"?  I really want the Heat to win.  Last year I was pulling for them because I thought that if Lebron James finally got a ring we would all stop talking about him - sadly that didn't work, so I am hoping maybe if he gets a second in a row THAT will shut everyone up.  But it probably won't.  Lebron James will remain the most critizied player in the NBA, and maybe in all sports generally.   

Still, like the fans of El Tri dream of goals and glory, I too can dream of a world in which I can finally turn on Mike and Mike in the morning and listen to them not talk about Lebron James but rather something that really matters - the Mexican National Team, and why they can't seem to find the back of the net.  





No comments:

Post a Comment