Tuesday, July 19, 2011

World Cup! Oh, wait....

In my post on Caleb's Crossing I noted that in my absence there had been little to talk about.  Well that, my friends, is pure bullshit, because something major did happen.  And that is the US losing to Japan in the Women's World Cup Final. 

Now, I must admit that I did not watch a lot of the WWC, because my work and travel schedule did not really allow it.  I did end up watching two games (including the final) and very closely following the USA v. France semi-final on the Guardian's glorious minute by minute Internet commentary.  I must also admit that I was not particularly looking forward to the tournament, because in the past I have thought the women's game to be less exciting because the pace is slower. 

Well, ladies, I shall now eat my hat.  The games that I saw and followed  were fantastic, well  and beautifully played, and immensely entertaining.  If Women's soccer had not yet arrived for me, it certainly has now, at least at the very top level. 

As to the final?  Naturally, I am disappointed that the US lost.  It's a game that I think they let get away from them, as you notice the first Japan goal was scored after the US gave possession back to Japan in a very bad area and then a failed clearance in front of the goal: two mistakes, and the US were punished for it.  And yes, many of their chances could have been converted into goals.  Sometimes your best is just not good enough, I suppose.  But then credit must be given to Japan for simply not giving up, striking when the opportunities did finally come their way, and staying cool in the PK shootout. 

What I could not forgive was the on field interviews with Pia Sundhagge and Abby Wambach, when the interviewer had the gall to ask them, in such a horribly heartbreaking moment, how it all got away from them.  I did think that Sundhagge's answer to the question of how she might explain how the US fed to make their first three PKs was great, though.  She said you simply can't explain it. 

And that's probably part of the reason why I have stuck with soccer so long.  Its a game that mimics life I think perhaps better than any other.  In its fluidity, beauty, and chaos sometimes things go right, sometimes they go wrong, and at the end you can really only shake your head, philosophize briefly on your poor luck, and get back up and try again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment