Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gold Cup!

If you haven't been watching the Gold Cup coverage on Univision: shame on you.  For those of you who don't know what the Gold Cup is: double shame.  I'm not going to go through the trouble of explaining it.  Go and Google it. 

Mind you, I only know a few Spanish words, and those are the ones I remember from watching Sesame Street.  Yet I understand the passion of the commentary as Chichirito lines up a shot, and the catharsis of seeing the ball ripple the back of the net.

The USA really only cares about soccer when the US National Team is in the world cup.  Even my Dad, a committed soccer fan, hasn't been able to bring himself to watch it (though I think he will probably watch the final, because the US made it by beating Panama earlier today 1-0).  The nation's apathy was no more evident than during today's semi-final matches, where most of the fans present were Hondurans and Mexicans waiting for the 2nd semi-final match of the day.  Whereas the US played for a pretty quiet stadium, the Mexicans and Honduran National teams are battling it out in front of a raucous crowd.  It's worth noting that the games are being played in Houston, but I think the same thing would play out no matter where the games were played.

Me?  I'm so soccer starved it doesn't really matter.  It's been a while since Messi decimated Manchester United in the Champions League final and signaled the beginning of a long, soccer deprived summer.  Yes, I could watch MLS, but while I appreciate what they have done for US Soccer I still can't quite bring myself to do it.  From what I've seen, it is getting better though.

Don't know what MLS is?  Still?  Google it then, for all God's love! 

True, there are other sports.  Basketball goes well into the summer, but I really don't care for it.  The hockey Playoffs are something I used to really love, but for some reason I've lost interest in those as well.   Then there is baseball, which is a game I like and I love the idea of sitting down to watch a nice slow game on a lovely afternoon; but if I can't sit outside and watch it with a brat in one hand and a beer in the other I don't really want much part of it. 

So its been the Gold Cup for me, and as Fox Soccer is only showing the US team I've been watching the rest on Univsion.  I haven't learned any Spanish.  Now that we are in the elimination rounds, its been surprisingly riveting. 

As a final note, in this soccer starved summer, I would be remiss if I did not mention the Women's World Cup.  Its been a long time since Brandy Chastain whipped her top off to celebrate beating the Chinese in the finals, and it would be nice to see the US team win again, and unlike the men's team they have a decent chance of doing so in almost any given women's world cup.  So that is something.  The women's game is not as fast as the men's game, but at this level its played with good tactical acumen and skill and since its slower sometimes you can actually see things developing better.  So that's a plus.  I'll probably watch as much as I can, keep that what soccer I can in my blood for as long as possible, and limp into the fall when finally, FINALLY, the Premiership starts again.

What's the premiership??  Why don't you just go --- *sigh*.  Forget it.  Does anybody got a light?

No comments:

Post a Comment